About Me

My photo
Hi! I am a stay-at-home wife and mother. I have been wondering how to save my family money. When it came right down to it, we had pinched as much as we could and I knew our grocery bill was my last resort. There are things that we buy that I know cost way too much. I have found some really inexpensive recipes, alternatives and tips for things on my grocery bill and just stuff around our house. I want to share these money saving tips with all of you and also get some new ideas from you. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Laundry Soap


1/3 bar Fels Naptha or other type of soap, (Ivory, Pure & Natural, whatever is cheap)
½ cup washing soda (found in the laundry isle)
½ cup borax powder (also in the laundry isle)
You will also need a 2 gallon bucket

Put 6 cups water in a saucepan and heat.  Grate soap into hot water and heat until melted.  Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved.  Remove from heat.  Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket.   Now add your soap mixture and stir.  Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir.  Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel.  (You use ½ cup per load.)

*You can double the amount of soap, soda & borax if you feel the clothes aren’t coming out bright enough.
*You can also make powder detergent by just mixing the grated soap, soda and borax together without water.  (Add 1 Tbsp to each load)
*This costs me $0.01 per load compared to the $0.17 I was paying for my store-bought detergent! 

No comments:

Post a Comment